On 16the June 2017 Sauti Yetu organized a joint political debate between the residents of Nakuru East Ward, Nakuru East Sub-County and candidates for Member of the County Assembly position. The forum was held at PCEA Church Hall Free Area.
The debate aimed at providing a platform for both candidates and residents of Nakuru East Ward a leveled filed to engage each other on key developmental priority issues and allow the electorate to assess the suitability of each of the candidates to represent them and make informed choices.
Sauti Yetu worked closely with community-based groups to organize the political debate in the ward. The forum brought together residents of Nakuru East ward, community leaders, community groups, Religious leaders, individuals and perspective candidates for the member of County Assembly.
A total of 3 Candidates were present for the political debate, including– Hon Humphrey Mwaniki ‘Sonko” (Incumbent, Jubilee party), Mr. Francis Mutonyi Mwangi (Mazingira Green Party), and Francis Mwangi Wanjau (Independent).
Key developmental issues that took the center stage in the Nakuru East Ward MCA candidates included:
(1) Good Governance – Mca and Ward administrator are rarely present to address the community needs
(2) Education – skewed allocation of Bursary funds with many poor families rarely being able to access the fund
(3) Health – Poor state of Bondeni health Centre: (lack of a Laboratory and stalled Ambulance); lack of sufficient equipment of the Maternity wing of Bondeni Health Facility
(4) Lack of water in free Area and Murogi Area.
(5) Environment – poor sewer system and drainage in ward
(6) Security – high insecurity incidences; Mugging around free area.
A major request by the residents was the need to establish a ward development committee that will support in identification of key community priorities, organize and provide spaces for participation in governance by the residents. To cement the agreement between the candidates and the resident, the Nakuru East Ward Accord was signed strictly requires the elected candidate to establish mechanisms for the residents participation in decision making process of the ward.